Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Currently Loving: Cristina Rozas's Favorite Things for Spring 2011

photo by SCAD second year photo student, Maria Rozas

Cristina is a former classmate of mine. I run into her at concerts and "see" her regularly on Facebook. She is one of the nicest people I met in school, she's cool, she's talented and she's got great taste too!! I asked Cristina to tell us a little about herself and what she's up to these days, here's what she said...

Hmm. Well, I got my Bachelor's in Interior Design at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale where I took summers off to travel around Europe. Traveling made me become extremely passionate about Architecture, Textiles, and Industrial Design. I'm currently continuing my education in the Art Institute by taking classes on Environmental/Sustainable Design and experimenting with Furniture Design. Also, I've recently started renovating a house in Guatemala which is really exciting because I get to design a couple more custom furniture pieces. Finally, next year I'll be moving to Switzerland to pursue a job opportunity in a textile company and/or to continue my education on Sustainable Products and Design.  I'm hoping to one day start my own company with a focus on safe and sustainable living. Also, I would love to come out with a line of chairs made from recycled plastics and reclaimed wood. 
 
My inspiration comes from all branches of design with an emphasis on environmentally friendly and people friendly products. This is the first piece I’ve designed and created, all made from reclaimed wood with a non-toxic finish.

1. Feminine Frocks.  Spring is the best time to be feminine, and a great way to do so is with the perfect dress. The one that caught my eye is the Mompos Dress by Tracy Reese. Its classic design is universally flattering and, with the right accessories, can take you anywhere this spring. I recommend pairing it with flats and retro sunglasses for a sunny picnic, or with a cardigan and wedges for a cool night. Mompos Dress, $228 via Anthropologie

2. Mochi Ice Cream. A Japanese treat made from pounded sticky rice and ice cream filling, Mochi ice cream is a delicious way to cool down. It’s refreshing, yummy, and comes in a variety of flavors. My personal favorite is green tea. Mochi Ice Cream, $6.99 www.traderjoes.com

3. Little Joy. Even though it’s been a couple of years since Little Joy’s self-titled album was released, it’s still perfect for this season. Formed by The Stroke’s drummer Fabrizio Moretti, Los Hermanos singer Rodrigo Amarante, and LA chanteuse Binki Shapiro, Little Joy resonates with indie rock sounds from the band member’s previous musical ventures while paying homage to Brazilian Bossa Nova. Their songs are simple and sweet, making it the ideal soundtrack for spring. Little Joy, $9.77. www.amazon.com

4. Peony. Every season I like try a new scent, mostly because a season is how long a fragrance will last me, and because it’s an inexpensive change from season to season. A friend of mine gave me a vial of Pivoine Flora from L’Occitane a while back and I haven’t stopped using it since. The smell is subtle and fresh and the packaging is perfect; a small roll-on vial that goes a long way and is perfect to freshen up on the go. Pivoine Flora Eau de Toilette Roll-On, $16. www.loccitane.com

5. Mirrors. Whether they be in geometric designs circa the Art Deco era, or in opulent frames reminiscent of the Galerie des Glaces in the Palace at Versailles, mirrors have become a design staple once again. They add glamour to any room and, depending on the design, go great in all homes. They’re on trend this spring but they’ve proven to be a lasting piece throughout the years. I’m recently in search of one for a remodeling project and I think I’ve finally found it! Venetian Mirror, $965 Neiman Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...